16+ Assistance Fund
Transitioning to adult services, when a young person with Dravet Syndrome reaches the age of 16 and beyond, encompasses significant changes in the organisation of care for your child. Our 16+ assistance fund is intended to fill the gap which often occurs in providing support for adults with Dravet Syndrome.
The fund is available for families living with one or more adults with Dravet Syndrome, who are aged 16 and over. Any items of equipment or assistance that will improve the life of the adult with Dravet syndrome will be considered. Families can apply for one item or one project (which may require several items). The limit on each application is usually £1,000 per year per Dravet adult.
How to apply:
As with all our assistance funds, the applications are not means tested, although a letter confirming a Dravet Syndrome diagnosis is required and each application is assessed to see whether the needs are being met elsewhere.
If you would like to apply for the 16+ Assistance Fund, please check our application guidelines below and then click on the link below to complete an application form.
Guidelines for applications:
- We accept applications for any diagnosed patients from 16 years upwards
- A letter giving proof of diagnosis must be attached to the application
- Up to £1,000 for one item or one project may be applied, although we will look at each application on an individual basis
- This is a rolling programme so applications can be made at any time
- Your application will be acknowledged once it is received, and we should be able to let you know the result within a maximum of 4 weeks after the quarterly Trustees meeting
- Families can only apply for this grant once within a 12 month period (from the time of application)
- Any items, equipment or assistance that will improve the life of the Dravet adult will be considered. Previous examples include
- Special clothing
- Funding towards wheelchairs
- Sensory equipment
- Garden equipment
- We will not fund holidays but may consider contributing towards the cost of a holiday if it can be shown to benefit the applicant
- We may wish to publicise the grant so would ask for your cooperation with this
- Wherever possible DSUK will order the items direct from your chosen supplier and arrange delivery to your home