Super Siblings Award
Siblings of those diagnosed with Dravet Syndrome do not experience a typical upbringing.
They may be exposed to many difficult or upsetting experiences, such as seeing their brother or sister have a seizure, or undergo emergency medical care. They also need to adapt to the day-to-day pressures of living with Dravet Syndrome - the fact that there are times when plans are cancelled, holidays not possible, sleepovers just too intense and the simple fact that their Mum and Dad are stressed, worried and exhausted. They may also experience those feelings of isolation that often go alongside the pressures of living with a disabled sibling.
Many parents often speak about the many, amazing little things that these brothers and sisters do for everyone in the family and how they could not manage without their “super siblings”. Unfortunately, the demands of everyday life means that siblings don't always get the recognition they deserve. Our annual Super Sibling award is for these young, unsung heroes of the Dravet family.
I have lost count of the number of times plans have been cancelled due to seizures or illness. One year a family holiday had to be cancelled as our daughter had pneumonia and ended up in hospital on IVs. Her older sister just took it in her stride as always, despite the fact that it just wasn’t fair.
Guidelines for entering:
- The closing date for nominations is Friday 3rd December 2021.
- A sibling can only be nominated once
- The nominated sibling must be registered on our database (visit 'Join Us' to register).
- If you are not registered with us, you can nominate a super sibling here
- There is no age limit for these awards, although nominations are typically made when the sibling is old enough to understand and fully enjoy the award
- We welcome nominations for older children and adult siblings too - we realise DSUK may not have been here when some siblings were younger and we would like to acknowledge that older siblings continue to be a big part of the lives of those with Dravet Syndrome.
- Siblings can be nominated for any reason - maybe they’ve done something extra to help their brother or sister, maybe they’ve done particularly well at school, maybe they’ve helped to organise a fundraising event or maybe they are simply a consistently kind and caring sibling
- Super siblings are chosen annually at Christmas time, and announced on our Facebook page
- All super siblings receive a gift and a ‘Super Siblings’ certificate
Nominate a Super Sibling
Click here to go ahead and fill in the nomination form (don’t forget to include a photo in your submission) and let’s give those brilliant brothers and sisters the recognition they deserve.Complete the form