Consider our 10 easy steps to organising a fundraising event and you will be on the road to success in no time.
- Check the calendar. Make sure your fundraiser doesn’t clash with another big event such as a music festival, concert or football match.
- Create a plan and do your preparation before the day to make sure your event runs smoothly. Think about the logistics. Is the venue big enough? Does it have disabled access? What about seating? Electricity? Heating? Is there enough car parking? Leave yourself enough time to organise these things so there are no last minute panics.
- Get permission. This is really important. Make sure you’ve asked permission from relevant authorities, if applicable, before doing anything.
- Stay safe. If you are unsure about people’s safety check with your local authority. Carry out a risk assessment and check what public liability insurance the venue owner/operator has. If you have any queries regarding health and safety or insurance call us first on 07874 866937 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org..
- Keep proper financial records. Please remember to factor in a deposit for the venue and/or hiring items such as tables, chairs, costumes, sound system etc. Try to keep your costs low and see if you can secure as many items you need for free by using your contacts.
- Get sponsorship. Go to www.justgiving.com/dravetsyndromeuk and set up your own personalised page. It’s an easy way to keep track of your fundraising and sending the link to all of your friends and family will really help get more sponsorship. It is also a great way to ensure Gift Aid is added to every eligible donation. If you are fundraising at work, ask if your firm operates a matched giving scheme in which every £ you raise is matched by them.
- Try to get support. Consider selling tickets or get sponsorship and do as much as you can before the actual event is as successful as can be.
- Promote it. The more people you tell about your event, the more money you will raise. Get all your friends to use Facebook and other social networking sites to promote the event, share your Just Giving link or even sell tickets in advance. Use email, newsletters or contact the local paper! And tell us, we’ll shout about it too.
- Make the most of our fundraising packs. For example, we can provide you with posters, running vests, tee shirts, DSUK wristbands and collection boxes. If you have any questions or would like to chat with us about your fundraising please contact email@example.com.
- Use Gift Aid to make your donation worth even more. For every £ you donate, we can claim an extra 20p from the Inland Revenue, which makes a huge difference to us but doesn’t cost you a penny. So if you want your donation to go further please remember to Gift Aid it.